The Importance of Outdoor Prepping Gear and Survival Supplies
Whether you're an avid outdoorsman or just an average person, it's important to be prepared for any situation. This is especially true if you enjoy spending time in the great outdoors. Outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies can mean the difference between life and death in an emergency situation. In this article, we'll go over some of the most important outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies to have on hand.
Why You Need Outdoor Prepping Gear and Survival Supplies
You never know when an emergency might occur, and being prepared can make all the difference. When you're out in the wilderness, you may not have access to the same resources you would in an urban environment. That's why it's important to have outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies that can help you in a variety of situations. These supplies can help you stay hydrated, keep you warm, and provide you with a means of communication if you get lost or injured.
The Benefits of Having Outdoor Prepping Gear and Survival Supplies
There are many benefits to having outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies. Here are just a few:
Safety: Outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies can help ensure your safety in the wilderness.
Comfort: Having the right gear can help you stay comfortable and dry, even in wet or cold conditions.
Preparedness: Being prepared with outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies can give you peace of mind and help you handle unexpected situations.
Confidence: Knowing that you have the right gear can give you confidence as you venture into the great outdoors.
In the next sections, we'll discuss some of the most important outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies to have on hand.
Wilderness Survival Gear
When you're in the wilderness, having the right gear can mean the difference between life and death. Here are some of the most important wilderness survival gear items to have on hand:
- Tent: A good quality tent can provide shelter from the elements and keep you dry and warm.
- Tarp: A tarp can be used to create a shelter in an emergency situation.
- Lighter: A lighter is an essential tool for starting a fire and can be easily carried in your pocket.
- Matches: Matches can be used as a backup in case your lighter fails.
- Firestarter: A firestarter can help you start a fire quickly, even in wet conditions.
- Water filter: A water filter can help you purify water from a stream or lake, making it safe to drink.
- Water bottle: A durable water bottle is essential for staying hydrated in the wilderness.
- Fishing kit: A small fishing kit can provide you with a source of food if you're stranded in the wilderness.
- Snare wire: Snare wire can be used to catch small game like rabbits or squirrels.
- Energy bars: Energy bars are a convenient source of food that can be easily carried in your backpack.
- First aid kit: A first aid kit can help you treat injuries in the field.
- Emergency blanket: An emergency blanket can help keep you warm in an emergency situation.
Recommended Wilderness Survival Gear from Gear Up
According to Gear Up, some of their top-selling wilderness survival gear includes:
– ESEE Knives: These knives are made from high-quality materials and are designed to withstand the toughest conditions.
– Sawyer Mini Water Filter: This water filter is small and lightweight, making it perfect for backpacking trips.
– LifeStraw: The LifeStraw is a compact and affordable way to purify water in the wilderness.
Whether you're planning a multi-day backpacking trip or just a day hike, having the right wilderness survival gear can help ensure your safety and make your trip more enjoyable.
When you're planning a camping trip, having the right gear is essential. Here are some of the most important camping gear items to have on hand:
- Tent: A good quality tent can provide shelter from the elements and keep you dry and warm.
- Sleeping bag: A comfortable sleeping bag is essential for a good night's sleep in the outdoors.
- Stove: A camping stove can be used to cook food and boil water.
- Cookware: A set of lightweight cookware can be used to prepare meals while camping.
- Cooler: A cooler can be used to keep food and drinks cold for several days.
- Headlamp: A headlamp can be worn while hiking or used to light up your campsite at night.
- Flashlight: A flashlight can be used to navigate in the dark or signal for help in an emergency.
- Backpack: A good quality backpack is essential for carrying your gear while hiking or camping.
- Multi-tool: A multi-tool can be used for a variety of tasks, including cutting rope and opening cans.
- Insect repellent: Insect repellent can help keep bugs at bay while camping.
Recommended Camping Gear from Self Reliance Outfitters
According to Self Reliance Outfitters, some of their top-selling camping gear includes:
– Bushbox XL Stove Kit: This stove kit is lightweight and compact, making it perfect for backpacking trips.
– Pathfinder 32oz Stainless Steel Bottle & Nesting Cup Set: This bottle and cup set is made from high-quality materials and is designed to withstand the toughest conditions.
– Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent: This insect repellent is effective against ticks, mosquitoes, and other insects.
Whether you're planning a weekend camping trip or a multi-day backpacking adventure, having the right camping gear can help make your trip more enjoyable.
If you're planning a hunting trip, having the right gear can help ensure your safety and improve your chances of success. Here are some of the most important hunting gear items to have on hand:
- Camouflage clothing: Camouflage clothing can help you blend in with your surroundings and avoid detection by game animals.
- Boots: A good quality pair of boots can help keep your feet warm, dry, and comfortable while hunting.
- Rifle: A rifle is the most common firearm used for hunting big game.
- Shotgun: A shotgun is typically used for hunting birds and small game.
- Bow: A bow is a popular choice for hunting big game and can provide a more challenging and rewarding hunting experience.
- Binoculars: Binoculars can be used to spot game at a distance and help you plan your approach.
- Game calls: Game calls can be used to attract game animals by mimicking their vocalizations.
- Hunting knife: A hunting knife can be used to dress and prepare game animals for transport.
Recommended Hunting Gear from Doomsday Prep
According to Doomsday Prep, some of their top-selling hunting gear includes:
– Vortex Crossfire II 3-9×40 Rifle Scope: This rifle scope is durable and provides clear, high-quality optics.
– Primos Hunting Bloodhunter HD Headlamp: This headlamp features a red and green LED light that helps you track blood trails while hunting.
– Gerber Moment Fixed Blade Hunting Knife: This hunting knife features a comfortable grip and a sharp, durable blade.
Whether you're a seasoned hunter or just starting out, having the right hunting gear can help make your hunting trip a success.
Pepper spray is a non-lethal self-defense tool that can be used to deter attackers. It's small and easy to carry, making it a popular choice for hikers, runners, and other outdoor enthusiasts. Here's what you need to know about pepper spray:
How Pepper Spray Works
Pepper spray contains oleoresin capsicum (OC), which is a natural compound derived from hot peppers. When sprayed into the eyes and face of an attacker, it causes temporary blindness, pain, and respiratory distress.
Choosing the Right Pepper Spray
When choosing a pepper spray, there are several factors to consider:
– Strength: The strength of pepper spray is measured in Scoville Heat Units (SHUs). Look for a pepper spray with at least 2 million SHUs for maximum effectiveness.
– Size: Pepper sprays come in a variety of sizes, from small keychain models to larger canisters. Consider where you will be carrying the pepper spray and choose a size that is easy to carry and access.
– Spray pattern: Some pepper sprays have a stream pattern, while others have a cone or fog pattern. Consider the environment where you will be using the pepper spray and choose a spray pattern that is appropriate.
Using Pepper Spray
When using pepper spray, it's important to follow these guidelines:
– Hold the pepper spray canister with your thumb on the bottom and your index and middle fingers on the top.
– Aim the spray at the attacker's face and eyes.
– Spray in short bursts, moving the canister from side to side.
– If the attacker continues to advance, spray again until they are deterred.
Recommended Pepper Spray from Gear Up
According to Gear Up, some of their top-selling pepper spray models include:
– Sabre Red Pepper Spray: This pepper spray has a maximum strength formula and a spray range of up to 10 feet.
– Mace Brand Pepper Spray: This pepper spray features a flip-top safety cap and a finger grip dispenser for easy use.
Pepper spray can be an effective self-defense tool for outdoor enthusiasts. However, it's important to remember that it's not a substitute for proper training and situational awareness. Always be aware of your surroundings and take steps to stay safe while enjoying the outdoors.
When you're spending time outdoors, having a reliable source of power can be essential. Solar-powered chargers are a great way to keep your devices charged while enjoying the outdoors. Here's what you need to know about solar-powered chargers:
How Solar-Powered Chargers Work
Solar-powered chargers use photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. The electricity is stored in a battery, which can be used to charge your devices.
Choosing the Right Solar-Powered Charger
When choosing a solar-powered charger, there are several factors to consider:
– Power output: The power output of a solar-powered charger is measured in watts. Look for a charger with at least 10 watts of power for maximum effectiveness.
– Battery capacity: The battery capacity of a solar-powered charger determines how much power it can store. Look for a charger with a battery capacity of at least 10,000 mAh for maximum effectiveness.
– Portability: Consider the size and weight of the solar-powered charger and choose one that is easy to carry and store.
Using Solar-Powered Chargers
When using a solar-powered charger, it's important to follow these guidelines:
– Place the charger in direct sunlight for maximum effectiveness.
– Connect your device to the charger using a USB cable.
– Charge the charger's battery before using it to charge your devices.
Recommended Solar-Powered Charger from Survival Gear BSO
According to Survival Gear BSO, the QuadraPro is a popular solar-powered charger that can charge 2-3 cell phone batteries. It's ideal for power outages, outdoor activities, or as backup power in a car. It can be recharged using solar panels or a power source and is available at Survival Gear BSO.
Solar-powered chargers can be a great way to keep your devices charged while enjoying the outdoors. However, it's important to remember that they rely on sunlight and may not be effective in cloudy or overcast conditions. Always have a backup power source available in case of emergencies.
No matter how much gear and supplies you have, proper survival training can be the difference between life and death in an emergency situation. Here are some survival training resources to consider:
Wilderness Survival Schools
Attending a wilderness survival school can provide hands-on training and experience in survival skills. Some popular wilderness survival schools include:
– BOSS (Boulder Outdoor Survival School): BOSS offers courses in wilderness survival, primitive skills, and nature awareness in Utah, Colorado, and Arizona.
– Tom Brown Jr.'s Tracker School: The Tracker School, founded by Tom Brown Jr., offers courses in wilderness survival, tracking, and nature awareness in New Jersey and California.
– Survival Training School of California: The Survival Training School of California offers courses in wilderness survival, bushcraft, and outdoor skills in California.
Online Survival Training
If attending a wilderness survival school isn't feasible for you, there are several online survival training resources to consider:
– Survival Skills Online: Survival Skills Online offers free online courses in wilderness survival, bushcraft, and outdoor skills.
– Udemy: Udemy offers a variety of online courses in survival skills, including wilderness survival, urban survival, and emergency preparedness.
– Survival Frog University: Survival Frog University offers a variety of online courses in survival skills, including food storage, bug out bags, and emergency communication.
Books and Guides
There are several books and guides available that can provide valuable information on survival skills. Some popular titles include:
– SAS Survival Handbook by John “Lofty” Wiseman: This handbook covers a wide range of survival skills, including shelter building, fire starting, and navigation.
– Bushcraft 101 by Dave Canterbury: This book covers basic wilderness survival skills, including shelter building, fire starting, and foraging.
– The Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living by John McPherson: This guide covers a wide range of wilderness survival skills, including shelter building, fire starting, and food procurement.
No matter how you choose to learn survival skills, it's important to remember that practice makes perfect. Take the time to practice your skills in a safe and controlled environment before relying on them in an emergency situation.
Get Prepared with Outdoor Prepping Gear and Survival Supplies
When it comes to outdoor activities, being prepared is key. Whether you're going on a day hike or a week-long camping trip, having the right gear and supplies can make all the difference. By following the tips and recommendations in this article, you can ensure that you have the outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies you need to stay safe and comfortable in any situation.
Recap of Outdoor Prepping Gear and Survival Supplies
Throughout this article, we've covered a variety of outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies, including:
– Water filtration systems: such as the Sawyer Mini Water Filter and the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter.
– Emergency shelters: such as the SOL Emergency Bivvy and the TACT Bivvy Emergency Sleeping Bag.
– First aid kits: such as the Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight/Watertight .7 Medical Kit and the Surviveware Small First Aid Kit.
– Fire starting tools: such as the Gerber Bear Grylls Fire Starter and the UST BlastMatch Fire Starter.
– Pepper spray: such as the Sabre Red Pepper Spray and the Mace Brand Pepper Spray.
– Solar-powered chargers: such as the QuadraPro Solar-Powered Charger from Survival Gear BSO.
– Survival training resources: such as wilderness survival schools, online survival training, and books and guides.
Stay Prepared for Anything
By investing in quality outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies, you can stay prepared for anything that comes your way. Remember to choose gear and supplies that are appropriate for your needs and the environment you'll be in, and to practice your survival skills in a safe and controlled environment.
At SurvivalGen, we're committed to providing you with all the information you need to stay safe and prepared in any situation. Check out our other great content for more tips and recommendations on outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should invest in outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies?
Anyone who spends time outdoors should invest in these supplies to stay prepared for emergencies.
What are some essential outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies?
Water filtration systems, emergency shelters, first aid kits, fire starting tools, and pepper spray are all essential supplies.
How do I know which outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies to buy?
Consider your needs and the environment you'll be in when choosing gear and supplies. Research and read reviews before making a purchase.
What if I don't have experience using outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies?
Take the time to practice using your gear and supplies in a safe and controlled environment to build your skills and confidence.
How do I properly store and maintain my outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies?
Store your supplies in a cool, dry place and check them periodically for damage or expiration dates. Follow manufacturer instructions for maintenance.
What if I can't afford to buy all the outdoor prepping gear and survival supplies I need?
Start with the most essential supplies and gradually build your collection over time. Look for deals and discounts, and consider buying used or borrowing from friends.